All things working from home, TikTok, lots of walking & time to reflect.
The 1 Metre Commute….
My desk and I over the past year have got to know each other quite well and it is a love-hate relationship. Something I’ve actually tried to do is make my desk a more inviting space by having lots of things around it that make me happy- I have lots of photos of happy times with my favourite people as well as my record player, as I just think there’s something really nice about ploughing through some admin work with a record on in the background. Being the nosey bugger I am, my desk is by the window allowing me to people watch to my heart’s content + the lighting it pretty great. Call me extra, but I do also have a ring light by my desk for allll of those Teams meetings- it is criminal the lengths I’ll go to, but when I say that Facetime camera does not do me justice…
Something I’m quite conscious of whilst working from home is the amount of time I spend sat at my desk. And on that topic, good posture….who is she? Therefore, come rain or shine, I make sure I get out on a walk every single day- get those steps in luv. I normally walk on my lunch break as opposed to when I finish work, largely due to the fact that, as mentioned on my previous post, broad daylight is definitely when I feel safest as a girl going about her daily walk and it just means I can have my airpods in without having to worry about mysterious men running up behind me…winner. I also use it as a time to chat to my friend on the phone or listen to a podcast; my favourite is definitely ‘The Girls Bathroom’, if you don’t know, get to know. On the topic of all things exercise, I’ve managed to get myself into a bit of a workout routine now *pat on the back*. We’ll ignore the fact it did take me 3 lockdowns to do so, but in addition to my daily walks, I do also enjoy doing an ab workout or some yoga in the evening. Hot girl summer, I can coming for you in full force. Magaluf will not know what’s hit it, Boris permitting.
Over lockdown, I’ve really become a coffee drinker, as long as nobody mentions ‘caffeine’ and ‘addiction’ in the same sentence, we’re all good to go, full steam ahead. I do start my day with a coffee, so you could say I am dependent on caffeine, but I am going to turn a blind eye as quite frankly I’m not ready to hear it. My favourite coffee syrups are the Skinny Food Company ‘Zero Calorie’ syrups. Until recently, I was always a salted caramel kinda gal but trust me when I say this, I’m about to put you onto something….hazelnut syrup. It’s like Nutella but in a coffee without adding any calories, so definitely a win-win. I have almond milk in my coffee- 1. Because it tastes nicer and 2. Because it makes me feel like I’m doing something good for the planet through making better consumption choices. I’m in no way vegan or vegetarian but I do happen to think that even switching up the milk in my coffee is better than nothing. Plus going to Asda and buying almond milk to show that I’m different *insert sparkly emojis* does give me main character vibes and I will happily drown in those.
Trade Secrets to WFH…
1. As much as I love mooching about in my joggers and hoodies, I’ve found that actually getting ready and putting on ‘proper’ clothes and putting good effort into my hair & makeup, as if I was actually going to work, really helps and puts me in a productive state of mind. I’m not going to pretend I do this everyday as I absolutely CBA sometimes, but I do notice a wee difference on the days I do make the effort.
2. With the number of hours I spend staring at the screen, I am thoroughly shocked and surprised my eyes are not square. In all seriousness though, I’ve noticed a massive increase in my screen time- my eyes nearly fell out my head one evening when I did hit the 13-hour mark. No, I am not proud of myself, and I do not think I am big or clever. On my days off, I do try and avoid going on my phone to compensate a little bit- not sure how effective doing so is, but it’s definitely something to think about.
3. Spicing up your routine definitely breaks up the monotony of every day being….well, boring AF and exactly the same as the day before. Building in things I enjoy into my routine has also been beneficial. For example, in the mornings, I love to be a lazy cow and sit in bed for around an hour with a coffee or three, just watching TV. Chilled vibes luv.
4. Fake tan makes EVERYTHING better. Whenever I’m feeling a bit shit, whacking on some St.Moriz always does the trick. I just don’t like being pale, I don’t see the appeal of it and looking in the mirror and seeing a pasty white reflection just doesn’t do it for me. I know I’m not going anywhere, I know nobody will see me but it just makes me feel a bit more human. Don’t knock it till you try it.
Tiktok…Love It Or Hate It
I bloody love Tiktok as much as the next person but recently that ‘For You Page’ has really made me question what I want to see ‘for me’. I’ve been making a really conscious effort to tap the sh*t out of the ‘Not Interested’ button as I noticed that some of the videos that were coming through were actually promoting really toxic habits, and after speaking to some friends about it, I realised I wasn’t the only one feeling that way. Whilst I’m all for women supporting women, and women going about their day and absolutely smashing their goals, I can’t help but wonder if ‘What I Eat in a Day’ videos where someone is consuming only 1000 calories a day, is all that healthy. And after getting about 10 of those popping up a day, I found that I was constantly thinking about food and comparing my intake to that of other girls which I’ve now realised is really bad and I’m glad I noticed it when I did. General reminder for all the girlypops that you are entitled to eat whatever you like- if you want a cheeky takeaway, do it, and if you want to eat clean and get those 5 a day in, be my guest- whatever makes you feel good. On the flip side, alongside all of the Gemma Collins’ reactions and baked oats recipes, I have been LOVING the ‘What I Wore Today’ videos and all of the Fiat 500 slander.
A New ‘Normal’
With the world opening back up again, it’s so nice to have things to look forward to as it definitely keeps the momentum going. The first lockdown was definitely the hardest with regards to this, as there was no clear end in sight and as a result, I really struggled, as I’m sure a lot of others did too. With the last two lockdowns, I’ve really been trying to….and hear me out, enjoy them. When I say ‘enjoy’, I do not by any stretch of the word mean that I am having a great time and that all is hunky dory…absolutely NOT. What I do mean is trying to enjoy the lockdowns for what they are and trying to relish on all of that extra time to do things that I may never get to do again. I’ve watched more Netflix than ever before, really delved into the world of podcasts, listened to soooooo many albums and I don’t think my room has ever been this tidy. Whilst none of that is a true 10/10 experience for a 19-year old, I’m never going to have time like this again so I’ve really been trying to make the most. Don’t get me wrong though, I cannot wait to get out and drink myself silly in martinis.
With the hustle and bustle of life pre-pandemic, I never really set out proper time just for me, whether that be for self-care or just to sit and do things I enjoy. Long gone are those days... Something I will 100 percent be taking forward post-pandemic is just taking the time to ensure I am primped and preened- all I can say is that Boots better be stocked up on their fake tan. I should probably also get out of the habit of buying a new outfit for each occasion coming up, but quite frankly there are more pressing issues so let’s slide that one under the rug. The world is my fashion show and you’re all just in the front row watching…joking, of course.
Post a Comment